Sunday, December 23, 2012

THE BLOODY JACK BOOKS: L.A. MEYER



I'm on book four of this awesome little series. This first book came out 10 years ago and I really enjoyed it. I'd heard about this book for a long time, but kept putting off reading it since it isn't anything like I normally enjoy. But Jacky is one of the greatest characters I have ever had the joy of reading. She is so brassy and smart while also being silly and impulsively stupid. I keep thiking I am going to get sick of reading about her, but even reading book four I find myself still in love with her. 

I recommend you give the first book a try and see if you fall in love with her too.

BOOK BLURB (BOOK ONE):
Life as a ship's boy aboard HMS Dolphin is a dream come true for Jacky Faber. Gone are the days of scavenging for food and fighting for survival on the streets of eighteenth-century London. Instead, Jacky is becoming a skilled and respected sailor as the crew pursues pirates on the high seas.
There's only one problem: Jacky is a girl. And she will have to use every bit of her spirit, wit, and courage to keep the crew from discovering her secret. This could be the adventure of her life--if only she doesn't get caught. . . .

The books are so clean in words that a child could enjoy them, however the subjects that Jacky talks about and encounters are harsh. Attempted rape, drinking, prostitutes, blood and death.  

Read more about this first of the series HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment