Saturday, February 23, 2013

ELEANOR & PARK: RAINBOW ROWELL


Hello folks, just letting you know that THIS book is one heck of a love story. I was really looking forward to this release. I enjoyed Rowell's writing in her previous book Attachments, but I didn't care for the story. Eleanor & Park struck a chord with me instantly. I don't know if I remember ever reading a book that made me equal parts heartbroken and giddy at the same time. It seems an impossible balance to maintain, but Rowell does a wonderful job of it. I also loved that it takes place in the 80's. It never mentions the year in the book, but you just know it is the 80's because of the appearance of tapes, acid washed jean jackets, and feathered bangs. I loved how there was no technology references like texting, facebook, or email to distract me. It also switches POV while using third person, which you would think wouldn't work, but it totally does. Anyway, loved it.

BOOK BLURB:
"Bono met his wife in high school," Park says.
"So did Jerry Lee Lewis," Eleanor answers.
"I’m not kidding," he says.
"You should be," she says, "we’re sixteen."
"What about Romeo and Juliet?"
"Shallow, confused, then dead."
''I love you," Park says.
"Wherefore art thou," Eleanor answers.
"I’m not kidding," he says.
"You should be."

Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.

Read more about it HERE

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment