Sunday, January 22, 2012

THE PROBABILITY OF MIRACLES: WENDY WUNDER


When you read as many books as I do, it is always a special surprise when you discover a book that is nothing like you have ever read before. The Probability of Miracles is an amazing treat. It is the kind of book that so easily could turn out to be emotionally manipulative or silly but it ends up being the kind of book that speaks to you and makes you no longer question the extraordinary.

Our heroine, Cam is hilarious and so likeable. Also you almost forget this book is written in third person because you feel so close to Cam and her world. I don't usually make notes of favorite quotes, but this one I loved:

"Cam hadn't gotten the gene that allowed you to flirt. She was convinced it was genetic. You either had the capacity for coyness, or you simply could not pretend to be stupid. Which was what guys really wanted." I have always felt that way about flirting, so Cam was definitely my kind of gal.

BOOK BLURB:
Dry, sarcastic, sixteen-year-old Cam Cooper has spent the last seven years in and out hospitals. The last thing she wants to do in the short life she has left is move 1,500 miles away to Promise, Maine - a place known for the miraculous events that occur there. But it's undeniable that strange things happen in Promise: everlasting sunsets; purple dandelions; flamingos in the frigid Atlantic; an elusive boy named Asher; and finally, a mysterious envelope containing a list of things for Cam to do before she dies. As Cam checks each item off the list, she finally learns to believe - in love, in herself, and even in miracles.

A debut novel from an immensely talented new writer, The Probability of Miracles crackles with wit, romance and humor and will leave readers laughing and crying with each turn of the page.

I am noticing that I read a lot of sad books with death often a big part of the story. It is funny but I don't cry very often when reading these sad books. It is like I am immune. So when a book, like this one, makes me cry for like 10 minutes after I finish the last line you know I am hooked. Thank you Wendy Wunder for creating a world that was based in reality but quietly tip-toed in the fantasy. It was a tremendous treat to visit a town where anything could happen.

I also do want to mention that I am glad that I still read this even though I seriously hated the cover. It honestly offends me. I am so glad I gave this book a chance because it was awesome despite the freaky pink feather theme.

Read more about this book HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment