Thursday, June 21, 2012

SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL: TRISH DOLLER



Everywhere you look you will find praise for this book and it is certainly well earned. I, personally could not put it down, and that surprised me. I never would chose to read about a Marine coming home from Afghanistan, it just seems too somber for me. But even though this book deals with a heavy subject, it still has a lightness and hope throughout. In my opinion, hope in a book like this is always a mark of a well written story. On top of all that, I don’t think there is one serviceman who would not find truth is this book.

BOOK BLURB:
When Travis returns home from a stint in Afghanistan, his parents are splitting up, his brother’s stolen his girlfriend and his car, and he’s haunted by nightmares of his best friend’s death. It’s not until Travis runs into Harper, a girl he’s had a rocky relationship with since middle school, that life actually starts looking up. And as he and Harper see more of each other, he begins to pick his way through the minefield of family problems and post-traumatic stress to the possibility of a life that might resemble normal again. Travis’s dry sense of humor, and incredible sense of honor, make him an irresistible and eminently lovable hero.


The language is a bit harsh at times, but I felt it was spot on boy/soldier talk. Read more about it HERE.

I received this read on NetGalley for a fair review.

No comments:

Post a Comment