Thursday, August 23, 2012

CARTER FINALLY GETS IT: BRENT CRAWFORD


Last year, after delightedly laughing to myself during my first read of Carter Finally Gets It, I wondered this: Who else is going to like this book? It is irreverant, crude, and kind of offensive, so anyone who I share this book with is going to think I'm nuts. But at the same time, it is all those things while also being hilarious, smart, sweet, and touching. In the end I had to admit it: I freaking fell in utter love with Carter. As I have shared this book with a few trusted friends, I have found that I am not the only one falling for his charms.

BOOK BLURB:
Meet Will Carter, but feel free to call him Carter. (Yes, he knows it's a lazy nickname, but he didn't have much say in the matter.)

Here are five things you should know about him:
1. He has a stuttering problem, particularly around boobs and bellybuttons.
2. He battles attention devicit disorder ever minute of every day...unless he gets distracted.
3. He's a virgin, mostly because he is not good at talking to girls (see number 1).
4. He's about to start high school.
5. He's totally not ready.

Join Carter for his freshman year, where he;ll search for sex, love, and acceptance anywhere he can find it. In the process he'll almost kill a trombone player, face off against his greatest nemesis, get caught up in a messy love triangle, suffer a lot of blood loss, narrowly escape death, run from the cops (not once but twice), meet his match in the form of a curvy drill teamer, and surprise the hell out of everyone, including himself.

Take a hilarious walk into the mind of the most real 14 year old male voice I have ever read. A boy who talks like he is a lot older than he is, but acts just his age. Carter is so darn endearing because he is so aware of what makes him uncool, which only makes him more popular in school and cool to the reader. 

I just re-read this because the third Carter book was just released. The two sequels are not as great as the first, but my friends who are true Carter fans still love them.

Read more about it HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment