Monday, August 6, 2012

DAIRY QUEEN: CATHERINE GILBERT MURDOCK


I just finished re-reading one of my favorite reads of last year. Dairy Queen is the kind of book that makes you want to cheer at the end. I put off reading this for the first time for a while because I hate football and reading about a farm girl who is good at football sounded, like totally lame to me. So why did I end up absolutely loving it? Well, it is because Murdock completely masters voice in this. D.J.'s character is so clear to you, and her rambling hilarious voice is just so easy to love.

Dairy Queen is the first of a trilogy and I wish I could say I love the second and third books as much, but I don't think they have the same spark. (Although, I have had plenty of friends disagree and love the entire series.) After reading them again I feel like both books could have been combined into one. They are still great reads overall, it is just hard to be as awesome as Dairy Queen.

And can I give a shout out to good old Brian? He might be the most honest and real teenager boy ever. He isn't perfect or smooth or all that nice sometimes. But he is exactly what I remember boys being like at his age.

BOOK BLURB:
When you don't talk, there's a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said. Harsh words indeed, from Brian Nelson of all people. But, D.J. can't help admitting, maybe he's right. When you don't talk, there's a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said. Stuff like why her best friend, Amber, isn't so friendly anymore. Or why her little brother, Curtis, never opens his mouth. Why her mom has two jobs and a big secret. Why her college-football-star brothers won't even call home. Why her dad would go ballistic if she tried out for the high school football team herself. And why Brian is so, so out of her league. When you don't talk, there's a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said. Welcome to the summer that fifteen-year-old D.J. Schwenk of Red Bend, Wisconsin, learns to talk, and ends up having an awful lot of stuff to say.

Read more about this HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment